Just wanted to share a couple of experiences that we had during the Twin Falls Temple celebration and dedication. With my calling in the Stake I have been lucky to be involved with the Youth Culture Celebration it has been overwhelming most of the time to think that over 3200 kids ages 12 - 18 from 14 different stakes would really be able to come together and perform for the Prophet in song and dance the history of our area and wrap it all together with the theme of "The Living Water" practices started early in the year and took up most all of the mutual nights. Looking back the kids had much better attitudes than the adults most of the time. They were excited to see the Prophet of God and have him speak to them. The celebration took place at the Filer fairgrounds all I could think of was how dirty everything would be. We met a couple of times at the fairgrounds to run thru things before the weekend of the dedication. It always seemed to be complete chaos.... The weekend of the dedication rolled around and the amount of time and work that had gone into this experience began to show. 3200 kids all in costumes that had to be made/begged or borrowed/ 2 of the numbers involved all 3200 kids they had 2 different flags one had 3 streamers in it(representing the water) all had to be sewn, that was over 9000 streamers for the flags in just that number. Then each person had another flag for the end number so 3000 more flags. The arena had been transformed into a beautiful, peaceful setting. It had a huge beautiful waterfall and pond, the ground had been covered with sod and was green and lush.... Several stages had been built... big enough for all 3200 kids to be on all one time. For me as I stepped into that arena the 1st time on Friday night I was very humbled to know that so many people had given so much of their time, talent, and resources to make this happen. We had 3 dress rehearsals from Friday night to Saturday night when it was finally performed for President Monson.... it was awesome to see the youth support each other and really come together ...they wanted to do the very best job they could for the Prophet. President Bill Mendenhall who had been our Stake President in Declo was the President in charge of the YCC he had been fighting cancer and passed away on Thursday before the dedication. It hit our kids hard because they knew and loved Pres. Mendenhall he was amazing with the youth... So the mood in our Stake camp was pretty sober Friday night.... Saturday as time neared for the final performance the kids were excited, it was crazy, it was hot, everyone was tired. We lined the kids up the last time to walk them into the arena and get them in place and sat down for the Prophet to enter. You could feel the excitement. They were ready.... I sat in a set of bleachers on the side with some of the ladies I serve with and my favorte sister Sandie and husband Dave...... there was some excitement behind us we turned to look and there was a bunch of cars all lined up. I realized this is it, this is the Prophet. (we still were not sure if President Monson would be coming or if it would be one of the other memebers of the 1st pres.) They started unloading men and women out of the cars into golf carts to bring them into the arena. As they came into the arena it was silent you could have heard a pin drop.... well maybe not over the roar of the waterfall.... No President Monson.... My heart fell. I was sad the kids had worked so hard and were so excited to see the Prophet.... then the golf carts went back out and more people began to get out of cars. I saw President Monson.... I could tell it was him. Must be the family resemblance> :) I got so excited I wanted to scream or jump up and down. I was snapping pictures as fast as I could (I will try to get some downloaded.) They brought him into the arena the kids were in awe... You could feel the spirit..... IT WAS SO STRONG I REALLY FELT LIKE I COULD REACH OUT AND FEEL IT THE SPIRIT WAS AWESOME. HE REALLY IS A PROPHET OF GOD. I KNEW IT WITHOUT ANY DOUBT ...... He walked across the stage to his seat the sun was going down and shining brightly on the stage he had on sunglasses he chatted with the kids as he walked he smiled and laughed. The introduction began and it was soon time for him to speak to our kids. He took off his sunglasses and placed them on Elder Brent Nielsen,sitting by him everyone giggled. Then he went to the pulpit and talked to the kids. He told them stories and laughed He joked he let them know he is a real man who loves the Lord and has given his life to serve him. He let them know how important they are and that the Lord loves them...... He gave them all a blessing it was AWESOME..... I sat with tears running down my face. The spirit was so strong... I was so grateful for my heritage, especially for my parents and for the gospel in my life and the blessings that have come from the Gospel. After President Monson was done talking they took him back in the golf cart went back around to the front of the arena and got him seated and the program began. It was fantastic...... The kids did a great job.... at the end the Prophet was suspossed to leave while the kids again sang the song "Living Water" which was written for this program He wouldn't leave he stood holding onto the railing listening to the song and waving and smiling at them the song ended the kids didn't know what to do no one had planned on the Prophet still being there!!!! They all started waving their flags and yelling, "we love you President Monson" IT WAS AWESOME.
I will share the experience we had in the temple for the dedication when I get some more time.
I want you all to know how much I love you all. I would truly be lost without my family. You are more precious than anything to me. I am so grateful for the opportunity of having a temple in our area and so thankful for the blessings that the temple brings in our lives. For the knowledge that families can be forever!! I want you to know that I also KNOW that President Thomas S. Monson is a Prophet of God and that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is true and brings great happiness if we live it.
Friday, September 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
What a great post. That was awesome to read.
Great experience! Thanks so much for sharing that with all of us. While we were in Utah this summer, Roch, Kara, my Dad, and I went to Music and the Spoken Word. I was excited to go because we had never been and we were even more excited when President Monson showed up! Being in the same place as a prophet of God is truly reaffirming of a testimony. I remember when Jessie and I did the Pioneer celebration. I can only imagine what this celebration looked like! Wish I could've been there to experience it with you.
It truly was an amazing experience. Kirk, Josh and I had the pleasure of being at the last performance of "The Living Waters". The youth did a great job, and all the hard work paid off.
I have loved having a temple so close and have taken advantage of it already, and will many more times. There was a rummor going around that you couldn't get into it because of all the sessions being to full. I have yet to be turned away from a session~ I think that scares me more than anything, we have prayed for a temple and in less than a month we are not keeping it full!
Again, the program was amazing!
Post a Comment