Saturday, October 4, 2008

Greetings from overseas

Since I've been reading this blog quite regularly I thought it's time that I post something myseft. I'm always excited to read about your adventures and miss being with you - my American/second family ;-)

Currently I'm living in Warsaw, Poland. I moved here last summer and study hotel-management with other international students (classes are held in English langage only). I kind of like being back in school and enjoy the time that I have for myself now - after working what felt like 24/7 at a 5star hotel in Germany. I do, on the otherhand, miss dealing with guests as well the stress I had (stupid, isn't it?). Well, we'll see where it takes me in 2 years when I'm done.

My parents came to visit me in Warsaw last weekend (for the first time). I took them on a tour through the Old Town, which was totally destroyed in WW2. Every single building was rebuilt afterwards and therefore this part of Warsaw looks really historical. We also walked though some neat parks (we have quite a few city parks) and I made them go groceries shopping with me (which is almost like in America or Germany - except I'm not really able to understand what's written on the labels since I hardly speak/understand any Polish -> but that makes things funny). My parents really liked the city and promised to come back before the end of the year.


All right, so this was my first try ever to post something online. Since I'm hardly ever with people whose mother tongue is English I don't get to improve my knowledge and therefore ->Please excuse my language mistakes!!!

Yours, Mareike

5 comments:

Jacob Kay said...

Mareike,

It was good to see you on the blog? Its good to know how things are going as well. So I heard that you are coming to visit really really soon. For 3 months was it? Just kidding but it would be good to see you again. It's probably our turn to make the trip though huh?

Jason & Makenna said...

I feel so out of touch! Our computer is still being worked on so the only opportunity I have to check anything is on the weekends at work. Thanks to everyone for keeping the blog running. :) So glad to get an update from you Mareike! Jason and I are hopefully going to make it to Europe for our 10 year anniversary which is still 6 years away, but we will definately be planning to meet up with you somewhere. Please keep blogging with us!

Rochelle said...

Hi Mareike! We miss you so very much! Jake and Kenna said it - it's definitely time for the Kay family to visit you in Europe! I am so happy to hear things are going well and you look fabulous! Keep posting more updates, I love to hear from you!

Shannon and Justin said...

So good to hear from you and glad to know that you're doing well!

sean & shirley said...

Mareike:
I was so excited to see your picture with your dad. At least you posted, I haven't yet! We think about you often and talk about all the fun and good memories we have when you were here with us. We would do it again if we were guaranteed another sister and daughter like you! We always think of you as part of our family.

Love,
Your American Mom