Friday, April 25, 2008
FIRE....or water???
All in our house were peacefully asleep this morning when we were jolted out of our beds by the most obscene noise. It was 5:00 and our fire alarms began blaring. Our alarms are hard wired so that when one goes off the other 6 go off. Don't ask me why this is. We live in a 1900 sq foot townhome. I am pretty sure we can hear one loud and clear...let alone 6! Jason bolted up the stairs to try and quiet the one next to Rhett (who didn't even flinch). He eventually had to pull the batteries out because we could not get them to stop. After much sniffing and searching we could not find the cause for the rude awakening. We had just settled back into bed and pulled our warm covers up to try and enjoy that last hour when it occurred to me we never checked the attic. We have yet to purchase a ladder (why don't attics come with pull down stairs anymore?) so Jason climbed on top of my shoulders to hoist himself up. A seal is missing on our AC unit so loads of condensation had collected and flooded our attic. We then noticed a large wet ring on the ceiling surrounding our fire alarm. It is quite lucky for us that the area flooded happened to be above the alarm. Otherwise, we probably wouldn't have noticed until one day "the sky was falling!" Who knew fire alarms had a dual use as a flood alarm?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I had spent all day and late into the night with Julie, after Porter was born and had just gotten in bed at 3 a.m. and ALL our alarms went off. We have 7 or 8 and 2 of them are 11 feet high....I did the sniff thing and search the house high and low and decided that I must have a low battery, so I changed them all, put them all back up and went back to bed. Damn things all went off again at 5:30 am. I still had the ladder up so I went right up to the first one of the 11 footers and they all shut off......one had gone bad and was making the rest go off. I went back to bed saying some pretty foul comments that may have had racial undertones (I'm not sure because I was pretty tired) about the possible ethnic origin of the manufactuor of said alarms.
Why don't the damn things go off when you are awake? Why does it have to be 3, 4 or 5 am? I somehow think Dad may have had a hand in that...his wake Stacey up tactics were kinda similar...
SBD
Holy Cow!!!
That is crazy...
You may have needed your Uncle Bob's lost boat if it hadn't have had the alarm!!
Mrs. B
Post a Comment