Sunday, April 27, 2008

Steelhead Fishing and Turkey Hunting in Idaho




Mark Payne and Bob Kay went steelhead fishing for a couple of days last week. It was a trip never to be forgotten. The first day we couldn't start fishing until about 1pm because it rained so hard. We used a rubber boat with an electric motor to get across the river to our spots and then left the boat on a sand bar while we fished. Mark caught the first steelhead and Bill caught the second one and I caught the third and last one. This was the first Steelhead for me and was quite fun. It took about 10 to 15 minutes to land it. Mark showed me how to fish the hole so I owe him thanks and he helped me land it. The fish was 31 inches long and weighed about 16 lbs. We decided to quit fishing early because they quit biting and when we got back to the boat, it was gone. The river had risen about 6 inches and washed our boat down the rapids and we were stranded. All we could do was walk upriver to the next bridge and I thought I was going to die. The mountains there are so steep it was hard hiking but also there were drop offs into the river about 40 to 50 feet high along cliff faces which we had to traverse and some of those were covered with snow. It was truly a harrowing experience. We never did find the boat. Some fishermen about 4 miles down river said they saw one of the seats float by but no boat. The next day we fished and had no bites so we cut our trip short by one day. The last day Mark shot a turkey with his bow and what a great shot he made. The arrow made a loud "whop" sound when it hit the turkey it it was history for the turkey.
I am wondering if when Mark calls next year to go Steelhead fishing (or boat launching) if I will have forgotten this years experience and say yes or will my memory still be sharp and I will be busy with some important activity like watching grass grow. Let's see,..........what was my name again????

6 comments:

Rochelle said...

Bummer that you lost the boat. That is a big fish and quite the turkey!

Jason & Makenna said...

Talk about being up the creek without a paddle! Did the trip inspire you to try out for Survivor? You did catch a mighty nice fish. Do you throw those back or are they good to eat? Nice shot on the turkey, Mark!

Logan said...

Somehow dad failed to mention the lost boat part when I talked to him on the phone. Probably because he was the one who forgot to tie the boat up.
Why didn't you take a picture of the receipt from the grocery store where you bought the frozen fish? Pretty tricky guy....

Shannon and Justin said...

My crazy dad! I'm guessing that mom hasn't read this and hasn't heard the whole story....Ooorr if she has, I'm willing to bet that she won't say yes next year when it's steelhead fishing time again. Who knows, maybe she'll just up your life insurance policy and pack your bags for you next year. Watch out!!!!

SBD said...

Steelhead and Turkey describe Bob and Mark to a tee! One's got a head of granite (HOG's disease) and the other is a boneafide turkey!!

SBD

sean & shirley said...

I can just hear this cutthroat saying, "and just look at the fat, bald, old sucker I caught, I even took his boat"!