Hello my dearest family! It has been awhile since there have been an overflowing of posts so I thought I would babble on about randomness! J/K. Just wanted to give an update of my voice progress since my surgery (which was 2 months ago! WOW) My scar has healed very nicely although it is still bright red and within time it should fade to white- which is the color of my pigmentless skin! My speech therapy is very helpful and it is A LOT of fun to practice my voice exercises while driving in the car with Whitney. I know it is his favorite part of our drives together- listing to me "hhhhmmmmm...me..me..me..me..pea..me..pea..mooching...pooches". I am indeed blessed to have a job that has worked with me during my recovery and to be free from the pain I had prior to the surgery. There is still much improvement that must be made, but in time I think it will slowly get better.
I have been quite surprised that I haven't gotten a bunch of weird, idiotic questions from complete strangers- like I usually get when a pair of eyes finds my chest (and I'm not referring to the twins). Although I was checking out at the grocery store - only about a month after surgery - and the clerk says to me "Oh my GOODNESS!!! That must have hurt. What a place to have a scar! I wouldn't want that!" My response "hahaha- let me hand you your foot for you" No I didn't say that at all, in fact being the very patient well mannered child that I have ALWAYS been (my parent's say I was always their most responsible, well behaved, angelic child- don't tell the others) I responded with a little 'giggle' and smile, grabbed my bags and headed off. One of my students I work with at work got my voice mail one day and left the following message "Rochelle, you sound awful. When are you going to change your voice mail so it doesn't sound so terrible." Well, every day at work I am greeted on the other end of the phone line with "You sound terrible- are you sick" "Are you sure you are okay- you don't sound okay" etc...
When I found out I had to have open heart surgery in 2005 an acquaintance at the singles ward said to me "Oh no. You are going to die. Don't die!" After my heart surgery in 2005 I had an insane amount of folks that must have gotten some satisfaction of commenting on my scar and comments ranged from an astonished "What happened to you" to "You poor thing" to "Ouch- was that painful?" to "You are so young to be so sick"Also when my voice was really bad (right after my heart surgery) I had just started going back to work as a secretary and I was suppose to call the phone company but instead called the wrong number and got the Insane Asylum- seriously. I said in my raspy half muted voice "Oops- I got the wrong number- I didn't mean to call the Insane Asylum (giggle)" The response from the other end of the phone "Are you sure- you sound like you belong here!".
During one Sunday school lesson (when I still sounded like I belonged in the 'insane asylum') I raised my hand to comment on the discussion. I admit I did not sound very well and it was extremely hard for me to talk- but I pressed forward with conviction. The conductor of the lesson said to me- and in front of everyone "It's okay, you don't need to talk anymore." These are but a few-very few-of the comments I have received and realized that sometimes people say really STUPID stuff and some comments I have received really did make me feel negative and sad- but I soon realized I couldn't let a comment affect how I felt about myself and how careful I should be in my speech and comments to others- always making sure to remain positive.
So this brings me to a topic of conversation for everyone- have you ever had some random, complete stranger say something to you that should have been followed by a foot in the mouth? and how did it make you feel? PLEASE share, everyone, as I get really bored at work sometimes and look forward to viewing the BLOG :) Love you all!
Friday, April 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Rochelle,
I hope it is ok for me to post even though I am not "part of the family". I didn't know you had to have heart surgery, nor did I know about your voice.
Do you know what line I hate more than any, "so, how are you?"
HATE THAT...
If I look like Cr*p, I more than likely feel that way too!
I miss you guys
Mrs. B
mmm...I am going to have to think on this one. I think I have probably had to stick my own foot in my mouth more than I have had comments made to me. Although, after the many crazy patients I had in Boston, I have become quite accustomed to acting completely normal in the craziest situations....like when I had the inmate who gave himself a penial implant with 21 marbles. I thought I would get a lot more public comments about being pregnant, but the only one I got was the really nice older gentleman in Walmart who opened a box of fudgecicles, handed me one and said, "There's nothing prettier than a pregnant woman with ice cream." One week after being weighed in at the OB's office the nurse exclaimed, "Someone had a good 4th of July!" Sorry Roch, I think all of us are probably a lot luckier than you when it comes to this. Stacey probably has some good stories...."you know, some people have holes in their noses!"
Hmmm, I do believe that I had many an experience with the foot in the mouth. I was calloused when I was in the Philippines because they lack what we like to call "any sense of tactness". Walking down the street, "Wow, look at that nose! That nose is as tall as a mountain." During sacrament meeting (the speaker), "In closing, I would like to ask Elder Kay if he could give a portion of his huge nose to each member, there would still be plenty left over." "Careful Elder, you're gonna poke our eyes out with that!" Hmmmm, no wonder I had somewhat of a complex upon my return.
Speaking of foot in the mouth, when Jaylynn and Chad first met, we were in the car going to a movie with them and my buddy mitch. We were talking about hair color and dying hair and Mitch was all, "...except for red. Why would anybody ever want Re..." He stopped short, realizing that dearest Chadly was, in fact, a possesor of red hair. Chad then came back with "What's wrong with red hair!?"
Machelle and I were shooting a wedding up here in Boise. The groom's family was pretty well off and the wedding dinner was at a country club. The bride and groom spent around $30,000 on the wedding! I didnt get too much of it dont worry. Anyway...These people were somewhat refined in the worlds terms. The groom had an adopted sister that was oriental or asian. I went to take a family picture that she was in and it was bright outside. I said real loud, "Alright, no more squinty eyes!" and snapped the picture. Machelle started to laugh and I didnt know what the big deal was. It was a good thing the wedding was at a winery and everyone else was trashed. This small-town boy's true colors came shining through. I cant give away the worst things I have ever said in this type of a setting.
Logan
I've had my foot so far down my throat, it came out the other end and I could still walk on it......I was teaching a class of new employees once, and they were still warming up to participating and I had just asked a question and was waiting for feedback....after a minut, I said in my best deaf voice, "New you unerstan the wordns dat are coming out of my moufth?" These three girls in the front just looked at me and then two of them looked at the third girl and back to me and shook their heads...I thought, 'Hmmmmmm, that was odd'. A feww minutes later, the girl the one girl answered a question and that is exactly how she talked! She had been deaf all her life and recently got her hearing back from a new procedure.....CRAP!!!! So, for the rest of class, I hobbled around on the foot down my throat and out my butt and tried to talk with my mouth full.
Marie, the manager of Papa's when it was Tim's had a birthday and I said, "Well, how old are you?" and she told me and I was trying to be kind but got confused and said, "Gosh! Is that all? I thought you were older then that!" I think she started spitting on my sandwiches right after that....can't say I blame her.
"Holes in their noses"....HMF! I can beat that any day!
SBD
Post a Comment