This post is just to tell everyone how utterly cool I (Shannon) really am....just in case you weren't aware. Last weekend I was lucky enough to become a motorcycle stunt rider and I was so excited about it that I had to share the story.
Justin's 7 year old nephew got a little Honda 80 dirtbike for his birthday so we decided to take him out and teach him to ride it. We loaded up Justin's motorcycle, Chance's motorcycle (for me to ride) and Tegan's motorcycle and headed out to the little track were we planned to play. We parked on the side of the road and were happy to see that we were the only ones there so we had the track to ourselves. Justin unloaded all of the bikes and fired them up so they'd be ready to go once we got all of our gear on. He had to push start Chance's bike because the battery was dead so it took ALOT of energy to finally get the bugger going. Now, just a little insight as to how advanced a rider I am...I have only ever riden a motorcycle by myself one time and I was still able to do the following all by myself. After giving me a quick refresher course, Justin helped Tegan onto his bike and the two of them headed off the pavement onto the dirt track. Wearing my brand new full-face pink dirtbike helmet, 3 jackets (kind of a windy day) and my snowboarding gloves, I sat atop the bike and said to myself "ok, here we go". I slowly let the clutch out, gave it some gas and the bike died. I looked back to motion to Justin that I needed some help and saw that he was busy pulling Tegan up off the ground, so I thought to myself "I'm not an idiot, I can start this thing up by myself" so I did and the stunt riding began! Rocks and dust shot out from the back tire and there I was riding a wheelie, leaving a patch of scratch behind me on the pavement. Once both wheels were back on the ground I reached for the brake and am so skilled that I was able to crank the throttle without meaning to and once again I was riding a wheelie. This time when the front wheel hit the ground I did an AMAZING manuver, much like something you would see at the X Games, and bailed off of the speeding (possessed) motorcycle. As only a Kay could do I rolled out of it and got up to see the possessed motorcylce still ghost riding 20 yards down the road until turning slightly to the left and running into an embankment where it finally stopped. I brushed myself off and turned to walk up the hill where Justin had previously been helping Tegan only to see him flying down the road towards me. He stopped in front of me and asked if I was ok. Unable to answer either from still being amazed by my own skillful riding or the fact that I thought my elbow, butt, and both knees were broken, he asked again. Once he knew I was ok he took care of the motorcycle. Much to my relief nobody saw my awesome stunt. Justin was still helping Tegan out of the hole he'd ridden into and the next time he looked up I was walking toward him in a flurry of dust. Anyway, I've decided that movie magic is amazing since they make it look like anyone can jump from a vehicle that's burning down the road at 50 mph and not have a single scratch. I'm going to contribute to the magic by offering my skills to the stunt man industry.....I'm sure there are movies to be made that would require the dirtbike skills of a blonde girl, right......?
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
The only thing that would have made that better would have been for you to wear dad's sparring head gear and maybe a snorkel mask!!!! Just like the good old days on the pedal bikes.
I'm sure there is but I would wait long enough for the current bruises to heal. That had to be an amazing site. It reminds me of the time we went to Duncan's track with your bicycles and you put on a similar "rodeo" followed by a face plant in the dirt. The Kay family "genes" are sure great at getting you into and out of trouble. Were you wearing your googles and snorkle?
Love you
Sadly, no I wasn't wearing sparing gear, but I wish I was. Might not be as banged up. Miraculously my pants remained unscaithed while the skin underneath did not. My gloves got torn up and I'm glad I had those on becuase even with those I ended up with road rash on my hands. I'm glad I was wearing 3 jackets too becuase I can't imagine what my elbow would look and feel like if i was wearing less. Everytime I wash the scrapes on my hands or roll over in bed I'm reminded of just how cool I am. :)
Shannon, you are my hero! I only wish I were half as cool as you!
Post a Comment