Saturday, March 1, 2008

Frustration Station

So I have a confession. I am a terrible mother. Rhett is almost 20 lbs and still sleeping in a bassinet! His head touches the top and his feet touch the bottom. I try to convince myself he must like it since the confining space surely reminds him of the womb. A lady in our ward gave us a crib long before we welcomed our sweet boy. My wonderful mother even had the bedding ready to adorn it. The crib was light oak and we of course, being picky, decided we wanted a nice cherry finish. We made the trek to Home Depot and bought all the gear required for the transformation. We then purchased a dresser/changing table in a matching finish. The tedious sanding began. This stage took two weekends. Then the process of staining began. This is over a month in progress. It looks terrible. Actually, worse than terrible. I honestly believe it is the wood's fault, not ours. We have stained, resanded, stained, resanded and stained again. No matter what we do it is just pathetic. Today was the last straw. We have thrown our paint brushes down and are on a permanent strike from staining. Monday we will make the trek to the store and purchase a crib. Perhaps there are veteran stainers out there that will be able to offer some advice in the event we ever put ourselves through this misery again. We are keeping the "pathetic" crib and might one day decide to paint it a lovely white...until then it will be an eyesore in our garage.

3 comments:

Machelle Kay said...

At least now you know that he isn't claustrophobic. My father does a lot of carpentry on side and has said that it is the hardest part of finishing the furniture so don't feel to bad about it. At least you tried. I would have gone straight for the white paint.

Shannon and Justin said...

How frustrating! I know exactly how you're feeling though. A couple of years ago I decided that I'd be ambitious and refinish my kitchen table and chairs instead of buying new ones. It's the butcher block top with white legs. I decided that I wanted the top to be darker (kind of walnut) and the legs to be kind of a farm house red. I started with the chairs and have 2 and a half done and I'm FINISHED. I still haven't talked my husband into buying a new dining set either, so I'm stuck with my ugly mistake!!!!

SBD said...

Porter is still sleeping in his car seat. I think cribs are over rated. Until he gets mobile, what's the point of using a crib? A crib is like a little bed with a jail and until you need the jail part, what you are using is fine.

As far as painting the crib, make sure it ain't lead based.